Learning at Bancroft
High Five Curriculum is Houghton Mifflin. Kindergarten through Fifth Grade Curriculum is Benchmark Advance.
- All teachers provide a balanced literacy experience for all students using focused instruction learning targets that align with state standards at all grade levels.
- All students receive daily core curriculum instruction taught by their classroom teacher.
- All students also receive additional instruction either in a small group or one on one to meet their individual learning needs.
- Teachers believe our students’ unique backgrounds and experiences are the foundation for their literacy.
- Classrooms are print rich and provide culturally relevant materials that are representative of the students at Bancroft Community School.
- All staff work together to ensure that all students receive appropriate interventions and communicate regularly with families on student progress.
- Students also have access to individual literacy intervention through the Lexia Core 5 program which tracks individual progress and provides opportunities for students to work at their own pace.
Students receive inquiry based instruction in math using focused instruction learning targets aligned with state standards at all grade levels. Kindergarten through Fifth grade teachers also use the Investigations math curriculum provided by the district.
Teachers use a variety of teaching strategies to meet the individual needs of all learners.
- Whole group, small group and one on one instruction is used to teach content and number sense.
- All students receive not just whole group, standards based instruction, but individualized and small group instruction in order to support each individual student and their mathematical needs.
- In 4th and 5th grade, students are offered an advanced course (for learners whose academic needs exceed grade level content).
- Students also have access to individual math intervention through the Dreambox program which tracks individual progress and provides opportunities for students to work at their own pace.
Science curriculum uses an inquiry approach using hands-on, interactive science kits. Teachers use focused instruction learning targets that align with the state standards at each grade level. The district FOSS science kits are provided throughout the year and contain living and non-living resources to enhance student learning.
Social studies curriculum is focused on foundational ideas in economics, civics, geography and history. Teachers use focused instruction learning targets that align with the state standards at each grade level. Students in Kindergarten through third grade learn the foundational ideas. In fourth and fifth grade they build upon those ideas with a specific focus on geography in fourth grade and history in fifth grade.
Social and Emotional Learning
Social Emotional Learning (SEL) curriculum is focused on creating an open dialogue among students and staff that focuses on positive interactions and equity. Second Step is the curriculum used by teachers to meet the state standards. We have monthly citizenship skills and character traits that staff and students focus on throughout the year. Caring School Community is a new program that is being introduced to staff that provides a literature component with stories focused on social emotional learning appropriate for different grade levels.